Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

gpsma

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by gpsma » Thu, 21 May 2009 21:21:04

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

By Matt Leingang | The Associated Press

COLUMBUS - Despite warnings from safety advocates, a group of
lawmakers wants Ohio to join 32 other states that have raised speed
limits to 70 mph or higher on certain roads.

The move comes as gasoline prices remain about $2.30 per gallon, much
lower than a year ago, and as a new state law will allow semitrailer
drivers to go 65 mph on Ohios interstate system instead of 55 mph
beginning July 1.

Ohio needs to catch up with other states that allow passenger cars to
go 70 mph, said state Rep. Dan Dodd, a Democrat from Hebron and a
sponsor of the legislation. A House transportation committee was
scheduled to hold a hearing on the bill Wednesday.

The plan already faces opposition from the State Highway Patrol, which
helps police the nations fourth-largest interstate system. Ohio also
has the seventh-largest highway network in the United States,
according to the state Department of Transportation.

Year after year, the number one contributing factor in fatal crashes
continues to be people driving too fast for conditions or excessive
speed, patrol spokesman Lt. Shawn Davis said. This bill would allow
them to go even faster.

Ever since Congress repealed a national speed limit law in 1995, the
trend has been for states to keep pushing speed limits higher, said
Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway
Safety. Texas and Utah have an 80-mph limit on some roads.

Last year, when gas prices soared toward $4 a gallon nationally,
lawmakers in some states, including Connecticut, proposed ratcheting
down speed limits to help reduce fuel consumption. But those efforts
didnt gain traction.

Rader said studies have shown that most people drive 5 to 10 mph above
the posted speed limit a threshold they think will allow them to
avoid getting a traffic ticket. So when states raise the top speed to
70, they actually increase the speeds people travel to 75 or 80 mph,
he said.

And the fact is you cant have police officers everywhere at all
times, Rader said.

Of states that surround Ohio, only Pennsylvania has kept its speed
limit at 65. Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and West ***ia all raised
their limits to 70 on certain roads.

The Ohio bill allows the state Transportation Department to determine
which roads would make the jump to 70 mph, although the intent is to
raise speed limits mostly in rural areas where traffic isnt as heavy,
said state Rep. Timothy DeGeeter, a Parma Democrat who is the bills
other main sponsor.

DeGeeter said he doesnt believe a 70-mph speed limit would pose a
significant safety risk because cars are safer and other states have
made the increase.

Republicans who control the Senate have yet to review the bill but
will give it fair consideration should it pass the House, said Maggie
Ostrowski, a spokeswoman for Senate President Bill Harris.

Rick Oxender, a lobbyist for the Ohio Conference of AAA Clubs, said
the group has not taken a position on the bill but urges lawmakers to
make a decision based on engineering and traffic studies.

What might be a safe speed in rural Kansas or Nebraska might not be a
safe speed in Ohio, he said.

Additional Facts
SPEEDING DEATHS

Speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes
in the U.S. in 2007, the most current for which data is available:

? Of the 13,040 speeding-related traffic fatalities that year, 5,480
occurred on roads with posted speed limits between 55 and 65 mph.

? 776 occurred on roads with speed limits above 65 mph.

? Ohio had 1,163 fatal crashes in 2007. Of those, 183 or 16 percent
involved motorists traveling at unsafe speeds or exceeding the speed
limit. Another 16 percent involved failure to control.
http://www.ringcar.com/
 -----

- gpsman

Alan Bake

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Alan Bake » Fri, 22 May 2009 01:27:13

In article


> Additional Facts
> SPEEDING DEATHS

> Speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes
> in the U.S. in 2007, the most current for which data is available:

If you lowered the limit to 1 mph, then that figure would be 100%, but
would the roads be any less safe?

OK. We've debunked "speeding-related", so who cares about this.

Or this?

When you lump unsafe speeds and exceeding the speed limit together, you
invalidate the statistics.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
<http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERER

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERER » Fri, 22 May 2009 03:12:53

It would be interesting to see ohio raise the speed limit to 70 but also
make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years.  Wonder what the
speed loons would say to that.
Frog B ritche

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Frog B ritche » Fri, 22 May 2009 04:11:32


> Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

> By Matt Leingang | The Associated Press

> COLUMBUS - Despite warnings from safety advocates, a group of
> lawmakers wants Ohio to join 32 other states that have raised speed
> limits to 70 mph or higher on certain roads.

> The move comes as gasoline prices remain about $2.30 per gallon, much
> lower than a year ago, and as a new state law will allow semitrailer
> drivers to go 65 mph on Ohio?s interstate system instead of 55 mph
> beginning July 1.

> Ohio needs to catch up with other states that allow passenger cars to
> go 70 mph, said state Rep. Dan Dodd, a Democrat from Hebron and a
> sponsor of the legislation. A House transportation committee was
> scheduled to hold a hearing on the bill Wednesday.

> The plan already faces opposition from the State Highway Patrol, which
> helps police the nation?s fourth-largest interstate system. Ohio also
> has the seventh-largest highway network in the United States,
> according to the state Department of Transportation.

> ?Year after year, the number one contributing factor in fatal crashes
> continues to be people driving too fast for conditions or excessive
> speed,? patrol spokesman Lt. Shawn Davis said. ?This bill would allow
> them to go even faster.?

> Ever since Congress repealed a national speed limit law in 1995, the
> trend has been for states to keep pushing speed limits higher, said
> Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway
> Safety. Texas and Utah have an 80-mph limit on some roads.

> Last year, when gas prices soared toward $4 a gallon nationally,
> lawmakers in some states, including Connecticut, proposed ratcheting
> down speed limits to help reduce fuel consumption. But those efforts
> didn?t gain traction.

> Rader said studies have shown that most people drive 5 to 10 mph above
> the posted speed limit ? a threshold they think will allow them to
> avoid getting a traffic ticket. So when states raise the top speed to
> 70, they actually increase the speeds people travel to 75 or 80 mph,
> he said.

> ?And the fact is you can?t have police officers everywhere at all
> times,? Rader said.

> Of states that surround Ohio, only Pennsylvania has kept its speed
> limit at 65. Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, and West ***ia all raised
> their limits to 70 on certain roads.

> The Ohio bill allows the state Transportation Department to determine
> which roads would make the jump to 70 mph, although the intent is to
> raise speed limits mostly in rural areas where traffic isn?t as heavy,
> said state Rep. Timothy DeGeeter, a Parma Democrat who is the bill?s
> other main sponsor.

> DeGeeter said he doesn?t believe a 70-mph speed limit would pose a
> significant safety risk because cars are safer and other states have
> made the increase.

> Republicans who control the Senate have yet to review the bill but
> will give it fair consideration should it pass the House, said Maggie
> Ostrowski, a spokeswoman for Senate President Bill Harris.

> Rick Oxender, a lobbyist for the Ohio Conference of AAA Clubs, said
> the group has not taken a position on the bill but urges lawmakers to
> make a decision based on engineering and traffic studies.

> ?What might be a safe speed in rural Kansas or Nebraska might not be a
> safe speed in Ohio,? he said.

> Additional Facts
> SPEEDING DEATHS

> Speeding was a contributing factor in 31 percent of all fatal crashes
> in the U.S. in 2007, the most current for which data is available:

> ? Of the 13,040 speeding-related traffic fatalities that year, 5,480
> occurred on roads with posted speed limits between 55 and 65 mph.

> ? 776 occurred on roads with speed limits above 65 mph.

> ? Ohio had 1,163 fatal crashes in 2007. Of those, 183 ? or 16 percent
> ? involved motorists traveling at unsafe speeds or exceeding the speed
> limit. Another 16 percent involved failure to control.
> http://www.ringcar.com/
>  ----->
> - gpsman

The average speed, where condition permits is considerable higher than 70.
Traffic problems are created when you have some folks trying to play
speed police and blocking traffic flow by their conduct.
Speeds should only be governed by road and traffic conditions. The magic
speed numbers pushed by the nannie staters are illogical. They want
everyone to drive 40 in the left lane because of their own chips on
their shoulders or manias not because it in any way conductive to public
safety. It offends them if someone passes them.
Frog B ritche

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Frog B ritche » Fri, 22 May 2009 04:14:50


It should be raised to prudent and safe.
Your magic numbers are illogical.
Your mania that everyone that passes you should be locked up is a clear
indication of your inadequacies and need for councling and possibly
***. Or maybe you need to get off whatever you are on already.
harry

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by harry » Fri, 22 May 2009 05:44:26


> In article


<snip>

<snip>

Exactly.  "exceedign the speed limit" does not automatically equate to
"unsafe speed".  That is like saying 1 mph over the posted is just as
'dangerous' as 20 mph over the posted.

Harry K

Orval Fairbair

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Orval Fairbair » Fri, 22 May 2009 06:36:50



The "speed loon" has already spoken! (See above)

--
Remove _'s  from email address to talk to me.

Eeyor

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Eeyor » Fri, 22 May 2009 06:49:48


> Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

Blimey, as fast as in the UK and we're already looking at 80 mph on
motorways ( as in most of mainland Europe ).

Graham

Eeyor

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Eeyor » Fri, 22 May 2009 06:51:55


Well that would be stupid.

I've driven perfectly safely on an 'open motorway' with no traffic in sight
in either direction at an indicated 137 mph.

Graham

MLOM

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by MLOM » Fri, 22 May 2009 07:01:47

On May 20, 1:12?pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are ***ERS"


> It would be interesting to see ohio raise the speed limit to 70 but also
> make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years. ?Wonder what the
> speed loons would say to that.

A lot of states use either 85+ or 15 over posted as incarcerable
offenses.

Out west perhaps they could bump up the SL to 90 with a minimum of
70.  The adrenaline rush would eliminate the risk of highway
hypnosis.  :)

--

Speed Limit: (n) The minimum speed by which ticket revenues may be
generated.

MLOM

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by MLOM » Fri, 22 May 2009 07:03:17




> > It would be interesting to see ohio raise the speed limit to 70 but also
> > make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years. ?Wonder what the
> > speed loons would say to that.

> Well that would be stupid.

> I've driven perfectly safely on an 'open motorway' with no traffic in sight
> in either direction at an indicated 137 mph.

> Graham

That sounds like the Middle East.  Posted SL is 120 km/h, traffic
averages 140 km/h.  I was once a passenger in a car that tried to
catch a speeding SUV, but the driver gave up the chase when the speedo
indicated 220 km/h.  Can't say I blame him.
Jim Yani

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by Jim Yani » Fri, 22 May 2009 09:04:47



Worse,the states will not enforce STKR or KRETP.

Of course,static radar/laser speed traps remove police patrols that would
spot such bad driving.
There's more money in speeding fines than for other moving violations on
interstates.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

mattwise..

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by mattwise.. » Fri, 22 May 2009 11:59:43



> > make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years. ?Wonder what the
> > speed loons would say to that.

> It should be raised to prudent and safe.
> Your magic numbers are illogical.
> Your mania that everyone that passes you should be locked up is a clear
> indication of your inadequacies and need for councling and possibly
> ***. Or maybe you need to get off whatever you are on already.

SADDAM has been off his/her/its meds for years.
harry

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by harry » Fri, 22 May 2009 12:32:17


> On May 20, 1:12?pm, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers are ***ERS"


> > It would be interesting to see ohio raise the speed limit to 70 but also
> > make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years. ?Wonder what the
> > speed loons would say to that.

> A lot of states use either 85+ or 15 over posted as incarcerable
> offenses.

> Out west perhaps they could bump up the SL to 90 with a minimum of
> 70. ?The adrenaline rush would eliminate the risk of highway
> hypnosis. ?:)

> --

> Speed Limit: (n) The minimum speed by which ticket revenues may be
> generated.

For sure :).  Try out west at 55 during those bad years.  Nothing
could keep you awake and alert after an hour or two.  BTDT too often.
Boring enough at 70.

Harry K

necromancer - ECH

Ohio bill raises speed limit to 70 mph

by necromancer - ECH » Fri, 22 May 2009 13:55:17




>> > make 80+ a felony with automatic loss of DL for 3 years. Wonder what the
>> > speed loons would say to that.

>> It should be raised to prudent and safe.
>> Your magic numbers are illogical.
>> Your mania that everyone that passes you should be locked up is a clear
>> indication of your inadequacies and need for councling and possibly
>> ***. Or maybe you need to get off whatever you are on already.

>SADDAM has been off his/her/its meds for years.

I know this will sound like a bad pun, but I always figured SFB to be
a speed freak....

Loco Laura Bush ***ed her boyfriend admits
to being a deadly speeder:

"There's a 55mph freeway near where i live and
 if i do 50, everybody passes me. But if i do
 60 very few do."
       --Laura Bush ***ed her boyfriend/laura bush - VEHICULAR ***/
Speeders And Drunk Drivers Are ***ers (SADDAM) 12/17/2004
ref: http://www.ringcar.com/